If you’re a weed lover like us and pretty familiar with the stuff, then you’ve probably already heard of shatter. If you’re just getting into it, then you should know that shatter is a cannabis extract with a glass-like state. It’s super potent with high levels of THC, but you can also get some strains with higher CBD for high-impact medicinal effects. You can learn all about what is shatter in one of our previous in-depth posts.
So no matter where you fall on the weed-lover spectrum, you’re wanting to know how this candy-like product is made. It’s a far stretch from your typical flower or edible, and if it all comes from the same plant, why is the end result so different?
Well, shatter is made using a variety of different methods. There are two main steps when it comes to knowing how shatter is made: the extraction process (taking the sticky resin from the trichomes of the plant), and the refining methods post-extraction (whipping, dewaxing, etc.). You should also know that you can make shatter at home, just as you would an edible.
To help give you a clearer understanding of how shatter is made, let’s dive into more of the nitty-gritty details.
How is Shatter Made?
Before getting into anything, we can’t stress enough how important it is to be as careful as possible when making shatter.
- A starting material (this could include anything from flower to trim)
- Parchment paper
- Iron or hair straightener
- Heat-safe gloves
Here’s how you do it:
- Put the starting material onto a piece of parchment paper. Use a sharp edge to keep the product in a tidy square shape.
- Begin wrapping the parchment paper around the cannabis, and use some tape or glue to keep it folded. There shouldn’t be leftover parchment sticking out – it should be just enough to cover the weed. Fold this square into another square of paper, again making sure there isn’t excess paper.
- Put the heating device of your choice on its lowest heat setting. Once heated, place it onto the parchment. Make sure you’re pressing down with some force and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. Use some heat-safe gloves so that you don’t get burnt.
- Take off the heating device and there should be a yellow-coloured substance oozing within the paper.
And there you have it! You’ve made your own shatter. We suggest enjoying it fresh using a dab rig for the best results.
(Thanks to Yo Dabba Dabba for this method)
- A starting material (this could include anything from flower to trim).
- An extraction tube (also known as a BHO Extractor)
- One butane cylinder (or more depending on how many it takes to fill the tube and how much you’re making)
- Coffee filter
- Glass dish or something to collect the shatter in
- Parchment paper
- Single razor blades
Here’s how you do it:
- Fill up the extraction tube with the starting material. You want it to be packed in tightly but not too much, you just don’t want any air holes.
- Through the end of the extraction tube that has a hole, fill it with butane. Make sure it’s soaked. There should be an oil substance that will drip out of the other end of the tube, which should go directly into the container or glass dish. Make sure you are doing this outside away from anything that could catch on fire, do NOT do this indoors.
- Now you can get the double boiler ready with water and put it on the stove (make sure it’s an electric stove as gas can catch fire). Put the glass dish inside the top of the double boiler to allow the liquid to dissolve. This process removes the butane and makes it into shatter – you’ll know it’s done when all the bubbles are gone.
- If you want to go a step further, you can even pressurize the shatter using a vacuum pump. Some people do this as they believe it gets rid of any traces of butane.
- Use the razor blade to scrape off the shatter from the glass dish and put it on some parchment paper.
This method is more dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing, so just be very careful with this one!
Should I Buy Shatter Online?
If you don’t have the means to make shatter at home, then you can easily purchase it online with just a few clicks. Buying online saves time as you don’t have to physically go into a store to look around, and you don’t have to go buy the equipment to make it yourself. You can also get some great deals on shatter and other marijuana products online that you wouldn’t find in all stores.
Is it Better to Buy Shatter Online or Make it Yourself?
As mentioned, there are certainly benefits to buying online, as you save time and money. The answer to this question also comes down to personal preference, as some people won’t want to go to the trouble of making shatter when they can easily and quickly buy it online.
Buy Shatter Online
After reading how shatter is made, perhaps you want to give it a go. Or maybe you’re not so keen on it. Either way, you can have peace of mind knowing that you can always hop online at BC Weed Online and get access to the best quality shatter on the market. And with just a few clicks, it gets delivered straight to your door.